Thursday, May 18, 2006

Isn't firstborn child easier?

I love my job. However it is crap like this that is going to make me throw a party when I leave. Of course if I throw a party, everyone's ID's will probably taken and we'll have to have background checks before anyone can enter. But after that, we'll celebrate until all hours (with the neighbor's watching us).

"The bar federation has warned that the new law may generate a prejudiced view that all foreign visitors pose a security threat."

Really? How would that be new? They should really say what they are thinking and just require that all Chinese and Brazilian foreigners be tagged with GPS units.

It's not really the government paperwork that is frustrating. It's the fact that Japanese people don't have an ID at all, and yet businesses continually abuse the fact that foreigners do, and demand a copy of our ID, even though it is illegal. If you want to get a video membership, go to a club , get a cell phone, it is impossible without them copying your ID. And that ID has my passport number, home address, etc. Everything about me is on it.

The "us" and "them," "in-group" and "out-group" is so weird. For example, last year the vending machine at my school was broken into. The head teacher was talking to me about it. I said, "It must be students" (the American prejudice), and he said (to me, by the way), "Must be foreigners." For a note here, only 4-5 foreigners live in my town, all in my building, and I happen to be the only one who goes near Mito H.S. But then again, I don't think I was a real foreigner in that sentence since I'm not Chinese or Brazilian.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nicholas Theisen said...

On a side note, the only two Chinese who live in Mito, one of whom is a friend of mine, are both doctors.

If people were under the illusion that foreigners were somehow on a lark before with random security checkpoints targetting the "he who appeareth not Japanese" in airports and most major cities, then I guees this comes as a surprise. It really blows their mind when a paleface happens to be a Japanese citizen. They also usually get sued, because there are very strict laws regarding search and seizure here, many of which the J-cops don't exactly follow.

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home