Friday, June 09, 2006

The Oxford Project


Photography and archives are a recurring theme in my interests and my life. I find the Oxford Project fascinating. A photograpaher named Peter Feldstein went to Oxford Iowa and took a photo of each of the 670 residents to record a moment in time for a small town. Then he came back a few months ago, 20 years later, to do it again. When the photographer returned this year he didn't show them their original photo. So many of them stood exactly the same and were still wearing almost exactly the same clothes! I love that about rural life. No matter how long I am gone from Iowa or North Dakota, the change is barely registered when I return. It's like it's waiting for me.

Or you can read the New York Times article.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home