Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The Value of Consequences.


I wanted to teach in Japan because I was so burnt out in America. I couldn't recognize anything worthwhile in the system. I really wanted a chance to look at it from the outside so I could clearly recognize some strengths that could keep me motivated when I return. I can sum up the strength of the American system in one word:

Consequences.

Sweet Jesus! What I wouldn't give to be back in a system with consequences. My students go on and on about hard work and how they admire people who work hard. Yeah right. They have never met anyone who worked hard in their lives except maybe Ichiro.

For example, did you know that in order to fail a test they have to score less than half of the class average?
For example, say the average on a test is a 70%, that means someone must score less than 35 % to fail the test. And if they fail a few tests they have to have extra tutoring from a teacher until they can get back "above passing." No one learns anything here! They just get passed, and passed, and passed! I have had failing at 11% before.

If you ever hear anyone compare the educational systems of the U.S. and Japan, laugh at them. Sure, graduation rates are fantastic here. That's because it is nearly impossible to fail.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home